Applying for UK Settlement

Indefinite leave to remain application

This section guides applicants on what types of entry they may be entitled to within the UK, and what forms are available for completion to apply for permanent settlement, which is also referred to as indefinite leave to remain.

Form SET(M)

Form SET(M) can be used for application to settle within the UK as the:

  • husband
  • wife
  • civil partner
  • unmarried/same-sex partner

of a person who is settled within the UK or a British citizen.

Form SET(F)

Form SET(F) is to be used for settlement applications by family members, of British citizens or people who are settled here. Form SET(F) is not to be used by partners and is only for those who are:

  • children under the age of 18 of a parent(s) or a relative of a person currently living within the UK with permanent residency
  • an adopted child under 18 years of age, a parent or parents who are currently living in the UK and are permanent residence; or
  • the parent, grandparent or other dependant relative 18 years or over, of a person who is currently living in the UK and is a permanent resident

Form SET(DV)

Form SET(DV) is set out for applications for settlement of any victims of domestic violence. The form SET(DV) is for those who have been granted temporary authorisation to reside within the UK as the partner of a permanent resident, in the instance of relationship brake down due to the applicant suffering from domestic violence.


Form SET(BUS) is to be used for application of settlement as a person that has since retired from employment and is not seeking further employment. The applicant must be of independent means or a sole representative of an overseas firm.

Form SET(O)

Form SET(O) is for various other forms of settlement application. Form SET(O) can be used by those currently in any of the following immigration categories if they have been living within the UK in a relevant category for five years or more:

  • Tier 1 or Tier 2 of the points-based system; this excludes the Post-study work category of Tier 1
  • businessperson
  • innovator
  • investor
  • work permit holder
  • representative of an overseas news agency, newspaper or broadcasting organisation
  • self-employed lawyer
  • writer, composer or artist
  • overseas government employee
  • UK ancestry
  • domestic worker in a private household
  • private servant in a diplomatic household
  • minister of religion, missionary or member of a religious order
  • airport-based operational staff of an overseas-owned airline
  • highly skilled migrant under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) – however in the instance that the application was made to the HSMP prior to 3 April 2006 entering the UK on the basis of that application, applications can then be made again after being in the UK for only four years

Any former members of HM Forces are eligible to apply for settlement using the SET(O) form if they have been UK residents for four years. However there are alternative requirements for former Gurkhas, with application for settlement from outside the UK, required they have served within the British Army for four years.

Those who have been granted temporary permission to reside within the UK as the partner of a British citizen or person settled, who’s partner then becomes deceased, may be eligible to apply for settlement as a bereaved partner. Applications can be made using the SET(O) from, but must be immediately after the death of the partner.

Any applicants within the UK for any other purposes or reasons that are not covered by any other application forms, excluding asylum, application may be available for settlement using form SET(O). This process can include any applications for reasons of long periods of residence, and is for those who have been living continuously within the UK for 10 years or even 14 years in some instances.

Form ECAA 2

Form ECAA 2 is for application for settlement of those who are citizens of Turkey and within the UK under the rules of the European Community Association Agreement with Turkey for establishing business within the UK.

Dependants can be included on the ECAA 2 form. If however an applicants dependants are applying separately from them for settlement, then form ECAA 3 should be used alternatively, which can be downloaded along with all other forms for application at the UK Border Agency website, where further information regarding Turkish dependants is available.

Form ECAA 4

Form ECAA 4 is set out for application of settlement for those who are a citizen of Bulgaria or Romania who have established business within the UK under the terms of the European Community Association Agreement (ECAA).


Applicants are advised to use form HPDL to make application for settlement or to form an extension of their authorised visit if you were granted any of the following:

  • humanitarian protection
  • discretionary leave to remain
  • exceptional leave to remain for a anything under four years, or for a series of separate periods that combine a total of four years

Form SET (Protection Route)

Form SET (Protection Route) is for applications of settlement for refugees or any people that have been granted humanitarian protection, whose five-year entry clearance is soon due to expire.

Share your experiences

Please note: The views expressed in community areas of this site do not necessarily reflect or represent the views of Law on the Web, its owners, its staff or contributors.

A breakdown of immigration rules

Can't go anywhere without itThe UK’s rules of immigration are a complex set of laws and regulations regarding the right of foreign nationals to live work or study permanently or temporarily within the UK.

Find out more

Immigration services — getting you in

Immigrants in their pantsUntil 2008 the UK Immigration Service was the government department responsible for matters of immigration. It was merged with HMRC and UKVisas to create a single body: the UK Border Agency.

Find out more

The state of UK immigration

More like plane failingThere are many reasons for the rise in UK immigration rates, from membership of the European Union to instability around the world, but the flow of people seeking a better life in this country has been substantial.

Find out more
Get unlimited telephone legal advice
Instant Law Line Business
Licence Assist
I found Law on the Web to be very informative when looking for a solicitor to do our family will. It helped me find key information fast and when getting in contact with a solicitor I already had some knowledge on the subject and could focus in on what we needed. Thanks for all your hard work.
David Doulton, Long Ashton, Somerset May 2012

We are looking into ways to develop the website and would appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete our short survey.
Please click submit when you have finished the survey

Thank you for taking part in our survey.