Evicting Tenants

Ending your tenancies

As a landlord, there may be occasions when you need to ask the tenants occupying your property to leave. If, however, the tenant refuses to go after the agreed notice period, you will have to take legal action. You must first serve your tenant a ‘notice of intention to seek possession’ to inform them that if they do not leave, you plan to go to court to obtain possession of the property. This notice must be given before you can apply to court for the possession order.

Once you do go to court, the court will decide whether or not to grant you a possession order based on evidence from both parties. If the order is granted, the court will set a date on which the tenants must vacate the property. If the tenant still refuses to leave, even after you have the possession order, you will have to go to county court and apply for a warrant of eviction, where the court will arrange for bailiffs to come and remove the tenants from the property.

If a possession order is not granted, the court will allow the tenant to stay in the property as long as they stick to the guidelines set out by the court.

Evicting assured tenants

If the tenants started living in your property between 15 January 1989 and 27 February 1997, you may have to provide the court with a ‘grounds for possession’, outlining why  you need the property back.

Evicting regulated tenants

Tenants who moved into properties before the 15 January 1989 will have a regulated tenancy. As with assured tenants, if you wish to apply for a possession order, you will have to provide the court with a reason as to why you want the property back. You will also have to prove to the court that you informed the tenants in writing before their tenancy started.

If you need the property back for a different reason than the one you had previously informed them of, the court will decide whether to grant you a possession order after hearing from both parties.

You should always let the tenants know your reasons for needing your property back.

Share your experiences

Please note: The views expressed in community areas of this site do not necessarily reflect or represent the views of Law on the Web, its owners, its staff or contributors.

An insight into eviction laws

Departing workerThe eviction of a tenant may become necessary due to a variety of reasons, however before beginning the process it is always recommended to consult with a solicitor specialising in landlord law and eviction matters.

Find out more

Tenants' rights under landlord law

FamilyTenant is the name given to an individual who rents a property from another party. They do not have rights over the property itself and do not own any part of it. The tenant merely pays a monthly amount to the landlord to live there.

Find out more

A guide to ending a tenancy

The Disquiet is more Universal within This AbodeAs a landlord the process of ending a tenancy can often be a lot more complicated that it may seem at first glance. There are a great deal of important laws which should be taken into consideration before ending a tenancy.

Find out more
Get unlimited telephone legal advice
Instant Law Line Business
Licence Assist
I found Law on the Web to be very informative when looking for a solicitor to do our family will. It helped me find key information fast and when getting in contact with a solicitor I already had some knowledge on the subject and could focus in on what we needed. Thanks for all your hard work.
David Doulton, Long Ashton, Somerset May 2012

We are looking into ways to develop the website and would appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete our short survey.
Please click submit when you have finished the survey

Thank you for taking part in our survey.