Road Tax Refunds

How to apply for a refund of your vehicle tax

Due to the recent abolition of the tax disc, you no longer need to apply to the DVLA if you are due a refund on your Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax). If you are due a refund, the DVLA will notify you automatically when you notify them.

The DVLA will give you a refund if you notify them of any of the following:

  • The vehicle has been sold or otherwise transferred to another owner
  • The vehicle has been scrapped or exported
  • Someone has stolen the vehicle
  • You are now exempt from paying vehicle tax
  • You have taken the vehicle off the road, as demonstrated by your acquisition of a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

You can find more information on the recent changes to vehicle tax in our Road Tax and MOT section.

Share your experiences

Please note: The views expressed in community areas of this site do not necessarily reflect or represent the views of Law on the Web, its owners, its staff or contributors.

Rules of driving

Dashboard of carThere are comprehensive rules of driving in place in the UK to protect road users and ensure that we all operate our vehicles in a safe manner.

Find out more

The Transport Act and its meaning

Huge Lorry, star of 'House, M.D.'Transport is a hugely important part of the structure of the UK, acting as the glue that binds businesses and individuals to the rest of the country.

Find out more

Understanding the Traffic Regulation Act

Excessive velocityTraffic regulation is an important part of UK transport law concerned with keeping preventing chaos on the UK’s roads and keeping people safe.

Find out more
Get unlimited telephone legal advice
Instant Law Line Business
Licence Assist
I found Law on the Web to be very informative when looking for a solicitor to do our family will. It helped me find key information fast and when getting in contact with a solicitor I already had some knowledge on the subject and could focus in on what we needed. Thanks for all your hard work.
David Doulton, Long Ashton, Somerset May 2012

We are looking into ways to develop the website and would appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete our short survey.
Please click submit when you have finished the survey

Thank you for taking part in our survey.