N211 Claim Form Part 20 Claims

If you are the Defendant in legal proceedings, you will very often want to make a claim against a third party (called an additional claim or subsidiary claim) which arises out of the same facts or events. For example, in a road traffic accident claim the Defendant may want to argue that the accident was actually caused by the driver of another car, or a Defendant who is being sued for selling faulty goods may want to make his own claim against the manufacturer of those goods.

Sometimes a Defendant will feel that he has a claim against the Claimant (called a counter-claim) which he wants to have dealt with at the same time as the main claim. For example, the defendant in a breach of contract case may want to argue that the Claimant also breached his contract, or a defendant who is accused of supplying goods which didn’t match their description may want to counter-claim against the Claimant because his cheque bounced.

The N211 Claim Form can be used to start an additional or subsidiary claim or a counterclaim. It is issued by the court in the same way as a normal claim, and the claim form then needs to be served on the additional Defendant in the manner set out in the Civil Procedure Rules.

Restrictions: Our legal documents are provided as part of our commitment to legal access for all. They are intended for use by individuals, small businesses, clubs and societies and are subject to a fair use policy. They must not be sold or exchanged for reward.

Disclaimer: Law on the Web does not accept any responsibility for any action taken as a result of you using our legal documents. The legal documents are generic and educational in nature and do not constitute a definitive or complete statement of law on any subject, nor is any part of it to constitute legal advice, and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of individual transactions and dealings.