The Law Shop is now closed. Please click here to find out more.

N9B Defence and Counterclaim Specified Amount

If a Defendant decides to reject a Claimants claim, he will need to file a defence with the court setting out the grounds on which he disputes the claim, and why he believes the Court should not grant judgment. This must be done within 14 days of the particulars of claim (or claim form if this includes particulars) being served on the Defendant, although this increases to 28 days where he has filed an acknowledgement of service.

A Defendant can choose to either dispute the whole of the claim, or he can dispute just a part of it. For example, in a claim which relates to two separate breaches of contract, the Defendant may admit one breach but dispute the other.

This form is designed specifically to allow the Defendant to state his defence in claims for a specified amount of money and should not be used in any other cases. The Defendant can also use this form to lodge a counter-claim against the Claimant.

This form can be downloaded directly from the government website here.