The Law Shop is now closed. Please click here to find out more.

Letter of Claim for Compensation for Landlord's Failure to Protect Deposit

According to section 96 of the Housing Act 1996 and section 19A of the Housing Act 2004, deposits on Assured Shorthold Tenancies (which most tenancies are assumed to be) must be placed in government-approved deposit protection schemes. If the landlord breaches this responsibility he must pay back the tenant with the full deposit, in addition to compensation of three times the amount of the deposit.

This template is for a letter of claim (letter before action) which can be used to complain to a landlord who did not protect your deposit using a government-approved deposit protection scheme or has not provided details of having done so.

It’s easy to fill out and states your case clearly, making a request for the return of your deposit and the payment of the compensation which you are owed under law. It’s easy to download, so making your case simply couldn’t be easier.