UK Employment Law Advice
We have all the advice you need on employment law. Read up on your employment rights and make sure you are being treated fairly in the workplace.
Employment law is a topic which will affect most of us at some point in our lives, so it is important to have a good understanding of it. Essentially, employment law is the legal field which covers the relationship between employees and employers, including what your employers can expect from you and ask you to do, and the rights you have at work.
Your rights in the workplace may vary depending on your employment contract and the type of job you have, so it’s important to know which rights apply to you. This helps to ensure that you are not treated unfairly in your job and that you are aware of your legal standing, should you encounter any problems in the workplace.
There are two different types of employee rights – statutory rights, and the rights set out in your contract. Understanding your employment rights, and knowing if they are being breached, is the best way to ensure that you are being treated fairly at work.
Our dedicated pages on employment rights explain:
- Your rights at work – the basics of employment law, explaining how employment rights function, as well as the different types of workers and how their rights can vary depending on job type
- Health and safety – what your employer has to do to ensure a safe and healthy workplace, and the responsibilities of you and your colleagues
- Time off work – including when you are entitled to holiday pay and sick leave, as well as advice on maternity and paternity leave
Problems at work
Unfortunately, all sorts of issues can arise at work. However, there are a variety of ways to deal with these problems, whether through an informal discussion with your employer, formal procedures put in place by your company, or in extreme circumstances even taking your case to an employment tribunal.
Our information can help you with:
- Dealing with problems at work – a general look at workplace disputes and how you are recommended to deal with them
- What to do when work comes to an end – whether you’re leaving a job on good terms or bad, we have all the advice you need about dismissal, redundancy and retirement
- Discrimination – a guide to workplace discrimination, including how to recognise it, the different types of discrimination and what to do if you are being treated unfairly at work
Need employment law advice?
If you’re looking for further guidance on employment law issues, our Instant Law Line service could be for you. Offering unlimited legal advice over the phone, it’s the affordable and convenient way to get the help you need, whether you're facing a problem at work or simply need to discuss your concerns.