Consumer Rights Information and Advice
Being aware of your consumer rights is vital to ensure that you do not get ripped off. This section has everything you need to know.
Whenever you buy or pay for practically any type of product or service, you have done what the law describes as “entering into a contract for goods and services”. While it might sound complicated, the idea is actually quite simple, and it means that there are all kinds of laws in place to protect you if something goes wrong. This protection is known as your ‘consumer rights’, and applies whenever you pay for goods or services.
What counts as goods and services?
‘Goods’ refers to any physical product that you can buy, such as clothes, computers and cars.
‘Services’ are things that you pay other people to do for you, like cutting your hair, painting your house or providing you with an internet connection.
What we can help with
In this section you’ll find advice on the most common problems encountered when paying for goods and services. These include:
- Faulty goods – products which do not work the way they are supposed to
- Goods not being “as described” – products which differ from the promises made by the packaging or seller
- Returning goods – what to do if you decide you no longer want something you have recently bought
We will explain what the law says about each of these situations, and what you can do to get your money back.
We also have pages about:
- Furniture and household goods, and what to do if you have a problem with furniture or any white goods you have bought
- Utilities, such as gas, water, and electricity, and what to do if you need to make a complaint to your utility provider or if you want to switch to a different company
- Food and restaurants, and what to do about a bad meal or poor service at a food outlet
- Phone, TV and internet service providers, and what to do if you have a problem with your contract or bill
If you’ve had a problem with something you’ve bought or a service you’ve paid for, we can help you find out about your rights and what you can do to get things fixed.
Get legal help today
Having trouble with a purchase? Want to get more advice on your consumer rights? Our Instant Law Line service can help you with these issues and many more.
With Instant Law Line, you can get legal advice over the phone whenever you need it, at an affordable price. Dealing with most everyday areas of law, it's the perfect way to get the guidance you need.